Thursday, May 20, 2010

My Village, My Decision. Interview with a Chief

Here with me now is chief Asuao "Joe" Tanumafili. He is the leader of a small village on the Upolu Island. He is here today to voice his opinion about religious practice in his village. He feels that the Samoan government has no right to step in and tell him how to run his village.


 


Elaine: So Chief Asuao tell me, why is it that you are upset about the government stepping in and telling you that you have to accept all religious practices in your village?

Chief: I do not like it. It is my responsibility as Chief of my village to look after the well-being of my people. If people start to not follow what I am saying, then I cannot maintain order in my village. If people want to not listen to my rule and start to practice their own religion in my village, that takes power away from me because people start to question my rule. Therefore, it they do not follow me, I kick them out of my village.

Elaine: I understand however, do you not think that it is kind of harsh to banish people from your village because of their religion? I mean it is their right according to the Samoan government.

Chief: No, it is not harsh for me to banish them because I do it for the well being of the village. Maitai system is present in my village and it is important that aspects like religion are controlled by the ruling family so that everyone in the village is on the same page. If people are not willing to follow these simple rules that are set for them, then they are a threat to the village. As far as the Samoan government is concerned, they need to step away and leave village matters to the village. I am not telling them how to do things and they should not be telling me how to run my village.

Elaine: I see. However your village is located within the jurisdiction of the Samoan Government.

Chief: That is the thing. We are our own village, and I rule this village. No one has the authority to tell me what to do here. My family has ruled this village for 6 generations and that is not going to change.

Elaine: Has the government taken any action against your village for banishing people based on religion?

Chief: Yes they have. The people that I have banished took their case up with the civil court. The court says that I have to let them back into the village because I cannot banish people because they want to practice another religion. I had government officials coming to talk to me telling me how to run my village. I had to let the people back in because there was just too much pressure and the best way to end it was just to let the people come back. The bottom line is that I want what is best for my village, and the government needs to leave my village alone.

Elaine: Thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment